Search This Blog

Friday, November 18, 2016

Remembering...

Way back in July this year, I wrote a post about my friend Jenny who had just been diagnosed with MND (ALS). 

So many of you wrote loving thoughts on this post. The prognosis then was that she would 'have 2 years'. Sadly this was a trifle optimistic, and the disease progressed quite rapidly with Jenny passing early this month.
I was very sad, but I realised that life was getting more and more difficult day by the day for my friend. She had gone into a nursing home and in the last week or so of her life, breathing and swallowing had become difficult and she was in pain. So the fact that she slipped into unconsciousness one night, was transferred to hospital and then slipped away there the next day without regaining consciousness...it was such a blessing.
On the Sunday after Jenny's passing our group of friends met at one of her favourite coffee shops for our regular monthly coffee morning. We shared stories and tears. As a memorial to our friend we all put in $10 each to make a sizeable donation to be sent to the Motor Neurone Association in memory of our friend. 

The funeral was delayed until her son and his family could arrive from the UK and it was held last Wednesday. I was so disappointed that, as things turned out, I would not be in Brisbane as I was visiting family in Far North Queensland.
By a strange coincidence DH and I spent the day visiting memorials to his older brother and 10 others who perished in a plane crash to the west of Cairns in 1990. ( the passengers were all Councillors returning from a Local Government Conference in Airlie Beach, except for the pilot and a nun, Sister Nadia who was given a seat when one of the Councillors decided to drive home. How lucky was he?) 
The first one we visited was the memorial at Tolga on the Atherton Tableland. DH and I were guests when this refurbished memorial was unveiled by the then Governor, in May 2010 which marked the 20th anniversary of the crash.

Some photographs were called for; last time we were here there were too many people around to get some quiet time to read and photograph the plaque.

 


The next memorial we visited was in the Bicentennial Gardens in the town of Mareeba...


There is a memorial near the Cairns Council buildings but this visit, DH took me to the one in an old Pioneer Cemetery in Cairns. This memorial honours only DH's brother, who at the time of his death, was the Mayor of Cairns...
A nice little band rotunda...
And plaque...
Surprisingly, visiting  all these memorials was not a sad experience...rather it was quite uplifting due to the beauty of this area of Queensland. 

8 comments:

Nanna Chel said...

So sorry to hear you have lost your friend so quickly, Maria. The same thing happened to a lady where I used to work. Such a dreadful disease. I am sure you have lots of happy memories to keep in your heart.

Jackie said...

I am very sorry to read about your friends passing. ALS is such a terrible disease.

God bless.

Nanette said...

{hugs} Maria.

Maria said...

Sorry to hear of your dear friends passing. Lots hugs Maria.

Vireya said...

Two sad losses. My condolences to you on the death of your friend, and to Mr Next Stage for the loss of his brother, even if it was many years ago. The memorials must have been lovely to see.

margaret said...

orry to read of Jenny`s passing but so good that it was peacfull and no suffering except for her poor family of course.
Such a loss in the plane crash but good that you were able to visit the grave of your BIL such a loss back in 1990

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

We grieve, not for our friend's passing, but for ourselves because we will miss them. After losing my FIL this summer, I know you have mixed emotions about her passing so quickly.

My closest friend passed away almost 20 years ago on December 9. The other day we were in a store and I mentioned to my husband that the cashier looked like a twin to Phyllis. When we got closer I saw that her name tag said "Phyllis". I was surprised to say the least. You never get over losing a friend.
xx, Carol

Cynthia said...

My heart goes out to you and your husband. Losing two brothers to untimely deaths is so sad.
My friend Louise died three years ago and I still think, Oh I must tell Louise, about this or that before remembering I can't. So grateful for the memories, as I am sure you are, too. Hugs!