Search This Blog

Monday, August 22, 2016

Wool on Sunday...

I thought I'd write about a particular blanket that I made recently out of donated squares. My part in the story of this knee rug starts quite a few months ago when a friend messaged me from an Op Shop that she was visiting. There was a bag of small crocheted squares for sale and she wondered if they could be useful for K4BN.
The squares were about 5 inches square and were probably 8 ply yarn (wool) crocheted with a 3 or 3.5 hook.

M bought the bag of squares and we organised to meet up; I would give her some brightly coloured bed sheets which had been 'victims' in my latest linen cupboard 'purge' and she would give me the bag of squares. ( M uses the fabric to line children's play capes which she makes for a charity)

Some of the squares had been joined so I decided not to try crocheting around each square to make it bigger. Instead I joined most of them into a 6x6 square. I don't have much in the browns/oranges in my yarn stash but I found enough to sew the rest of the squares up. Then I crocheted around that big square; the first few rounds, getting the tension right, ready for the rest of the rounds. 
The deep cream band is actually a big ball of lemon baby yarn mixed with a few balls of white 3 ply baby yarn. The outer border is a few balls of a fluffy yarn I bought on EBay ages ago. When I first opened that parcel of yarn, the yellow looked different to the EBay photos...to me in 'real life' it looked like what you might see in a baby's nappy! But I tried it out on this knee rug and it actually looked alright! 
And then...while I was recuperating, I found sorting through cupboards and storage boxes rather therapeutic, And the bonus was, finding 'stuff'. One thing I came across was a big ball of orange wool. So....
Another border! And this was the final version that got handed over to K4BN last week. I'm chuffed, because no money was spent...everything came from oddments in the stash. ( and of course the $10 that my friend spent on the squares put money into a local op shop charity)
I'm linking with Janine's Wool on Sunday once again. This week, Janine writes about those 'ends' as she finishes off her beautiful blanket.

9 comments:

Dorothy said...

That is amazing Maria. You certainly did a great job in putting those squares to good use and the finished item is lovely. xox

Nanna Chel said...

I had a laugh about the baby's nappy, Maria. The finished product looks great though.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

You really do work miracles with those donated squares! You have turned these into a lovely knee rug
:)
Thank you for linking up wit Wool on Sundays :)

angela said...

Love it. Not only did it help the op shop, it helped you de clutter and of course someone needy gets a wonderful new blanket.
Your a hero!

Helen S said...

Brilliant as always Maria! Love this blanket😃😃

Anonymous said...

Maria, no one would ever guess that entire thing wasn't planned just the way it turned out. That is just lovely and will keep someone warm and happy!

Una said...

That blanket couldn't have turned out better if you had planned it. The colours are just right for the coming months.

Kim said...

I think those op shop crochet squares fell in the perfect hands. You have done wonders yet again, Maria! I love the reference to the baby's nappy....you always make me smile. =)

Carla said...

Well well! From rags to riches ; ) You did those squares proud