Search This Blog

Monday, August 29, 2016

Playing 'Dress-ups'...

I know that some of you have been waiting for 'the photos' from that 60s Night...and the wait is over! 😄
We 'tossed around' lots of ideas beforehand. DH thought he'd dress up as a Beatle or a Beatles's fan. He would need a wig. So off we went to the Reject Shop and selected a wig each. The plan was that I would wear the long wig and DH would wear the short, curly one. But...the short haired wig didn't fit DH...so we swapped. 
I joked that we could go as Sonny and Cher...with me drawing on a moustashe...lol! 

Minds got changed a few times, about what we would wear. During one of our forays into local op shops, I noticed some of those 'beauty cases' from the 1960s. They were so trendy/cool in the mid 60s and I 'lusted after' one. My godmother bought me one...a cream one, and I was in seventh heaven! Mine is long gone but we have the one that used to belong to DH's mother, in a cupboard. My MiL used to keep old family documents in her beauty case and DH became the keeper after she died. 
So we emptied the family documents out of the case and on the Saturday evening, I put my iPad and some old 60s memorabilia in it instead. 
But a wig and a beauty case don't up add to much of a costume do they? 😉 DD1 brought over a few items for me...some sunglasses, a crocheted scarf and a big pink floppy felt hat. Visiting a local op shop looking for something I could wear, I found this...

Looking at old photos of myself from the 1960s, I noticed that I had rather favoured skivvies back then.( close fitting roll collar jersey). In my teens, I had envied friends who had those stretch black pants( I think they were called ski pants) ...my mum wouldn't entertain the thought of buying me a pair. So instead of wearing jeans to the 60s night, I decided to wear some jeggings with a dark skivvy and that sheepskin vest. My earrings are actually from the 1960s. They're so big, I hardly ever wear them...but they were perfect for the night.
And here I am!
( I couldn't fit the big hat on over the wig!) 
And DH?

You probably won't believe this, but a lot of people at this event didn't recognise him...wink wink! Lol. So off we set for a night of fun...
And met some friends as we walked in...

The placemats were very novel!
We all lined up to get our photos taken in the old 'Kombi'...

DH and our friend Dave worked hard on the 3 Sixties Quizzes; one lot of questions were about songs, another set was on TV shows and the third was about 60s events. My goodness we all struggled with those questions! Lol



As I wrote in an earlier post, we may not have done well in the quizzes, but we won the scavenger hunt.
Just for a laugh, also in that beauty case I took along some items that I still have that date back to the 1960s...from my teens specifically. 
My diary from the year I was in Grade 12...
( if you're wondering what I wrote about in that little diary, it was boring. I'm ashamed to say the main topics of discussion were school, boys, sewing, boys, school 😆) 
My Cliff Richard scrapbook...


I started the scrapbook in about Grade 9 and had kept adding to it as I found pictures. I had a little laugh when I saw the last page of the scrapbook...
No there was never a Volume 2! Lol
PS. Some people thought that I had dressed up as Cher, but I had decided that if asked, I would say I was Cleo Laine! Lol

11 comments:

Vireya said...

Brilliant costumes! You both look fantastic!

Nanna Chel said...

Very cool, Maria. Those were the days ;-)

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I think you two look FANTASTIC!!!

DH and I were 60's kids, met in the spring of 1966 got married in 1969.

Thanks for sharing your fun night ~ FlowerLady

Becky said...

looks like you two and friends had a load of fun!

Maria said...

You both looked fantastic and what a fun night you had....

Anonymous said...

Looks like great fun !
I remember the 60's (they say if you remember them you weren't there!)
I was living in a little village in the UK but it was all going on down in London.

Kim said...

You both look amazing! Love those wigs. It looks as if the party was a heck of a lot of fun. I too had a vanity case. Funnily enough mine was white, too. I still collect them as they make perfect storage for all my pretties. Love the record placemats. The 60's was a great era.

angela said...

You really did go to a lot of trouble. I think you both look fab!
Sounds like a wonderful night as had by all

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

This is a GREAT post!! You guys concocted the perfect outfits and I bet you had a blast!! So glad you posted pics of your costumes.
xx, Carol

diane b said...

Ah you brought back memories. You did well with the costumes.

Nanette said...

I thought Cleo Laine as soon as I saw your picture, you both really looked the part. What a fun night!