Search This Blog

Thursday, April 28, 2016

The Good, The Bad and The Somewhat Ugly...

DH and I finished our recent holiday in Sydney last Tuesday, when we flew home. We'd had a really enjoyable time and I saw lots more of this city than I had ever done on previous trips. And even that 'tumble' I took couldn't take away any of our wonderful memories. So...back to that subject line. 

The Good...
The return of the hire car on the Tuesday morning before our flight. 
Yes the car hire company staff member couldn't have given us better service when we returned the car. And The Good continued at the airport where the Qantas staff were wonderful. Of course when we had booked our tickets weeks before, we didn't know that we would need assistance. And that's when you need to ask...not when you arrive at the airport. But that didn't phase the staff and a wheelchair was quickly found...

And DH and I got to board the plane early and get fussed over! And arrangements were made for a Qantas staffer with a wheelchair to take me off the plane at Brisbane, help DH with collecting the luggage and then take me to the pick up point...all possible problems beautifully 'ironed out'. 

The Bad...
The person who was paid to look after my veggie patch 'sorta didn't do a very good job'...hmmm very disappointing!
I hobbled around trying to save the plants...this had been my lovely mint plant..



Water every day was the request and the collage below is how I left it...especially my beautiful and healthy tomato plants...
Oh well...I can but try to save the plants.

And lastly, The Somewhat Ugly...yep! The bruising continues to appear...photos were taken on Tuesday afternoon...
And today I was really surprised to find some new bruising...it is bruising but doesn't it look like I haven't washed my feet for weeks? Lol

As requested by the Sydney hospital, I attended a local hospital here on Tuesday afternoon. More x-rays were done and according to the Brisbane doctors, they couldn't see a break...but there was obvious soft tissue damage and possible torn ligaments. I still can't put weight on it and have to continue using the moon boot when walking. But every day, the swelling gets less, as does the discomfort. Next Wednesday I have to have some more X-rays done and possibly an MRI scan if there is still pain. Even though I might have a while before it's all back to normal, it was good news that it is probably not broken. And it all happened in just a few seconds :-/. 

12 comments:

Nanna Chel said...

That looks really nasty, Maria. Have you tried Arnica on your leg? I keep it handy in case I have a fall as I have had a couple seeing as I am not 21 anymore ;-) I do hope it heals up soon and there is no permanent damage.

Jackie said...

Ouch, I am glad that there is less bruising every day, but it still looks pretty bad.

Sorry the person looking after your garden did not do the job they were asked to do. Did you manage to save anything?

God bless.

Dorothy said...

Oh dear, what some people will do to get more time to crochet !! JUST KIDDING ... you poor thing - that looks very painful. Probably good that its not a break though but that bruising looks nasty. I always enjoy hearing good news stories - sounds like you were treated very well by all concerned in getting you safely home. That's a terrible shame about your garden. I hope you didn't pay in advance. Take care my friend and I'm sure your DH will look after you well. xoxox

Lin said...

Thanks yous are always appreciated Maria - what a shame you won't be able to thank your gardener! Oh what a shame, all those lovely plants, you must have been so disappointed to arrive home to that. Hope the foot continues to improve and that they don't find any breaks. xx

Cynthia said...

Oh, your poor foot and your poor garden! I will be leaving my garden for two weeks soon and fear coming home to the same sight. I do hope your foot heals quickly. Meanwhile, enjoy your crochet projects and follow the doctor's orders.

Mizumatte said...

oh, I'm very sorry for your accident and for the garden, hope you will recovery quick hugs Jaana

Vireya said...

What a mixed bag! Hooray for helpful service providers, boo to bad garden minders, and commiserations on all that bruising. Hope the happy memories of the nice people outlive the bruises and the garden droopiness.

Una said...

Your foot looks very like mine after I sprained an ankle years ago. They said they couldn't see a break. Later they told me that was because the x-rays looked like a big ball of cotton wool because of the swelling. There could have been a break, they just couldn't see it! It looks like you are getting the best treatment. Moon boots and wheelchairs weren't even offered by my hospital and my well-meaning father told me that walking on it would help it recover. I think your resting it is the right thing to do.

margaret said...

it is good to read that so many people were helpful, your foot looks so painful. re your plants you will not be asking the culprit to help you again, hopefully they will revive with lots of watering
Make sure to rest that foot

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

You certainly received some wonderful attentive service while in transit for your holiday. So wonderful to have employees of a business give us special treatment.

Then you have the absent veggie garden tender...how sad.

I can tell you from at least two experiences with lower leg and foot injuries..they take much longer to recover than anywhere else in the body. Be sure to keep your leg elevated as much as you can. Hope your recovery time flies by.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Oh dear that is nasty ....what amazing service So nice to read that .... Take care 💕💕💕

Susan said...

The title is so apt! Maybe it was lucky you booked Qantas and not one of the others for your trip. Guess your vegetable helper won't be asked again...very poor performance. Hope your leg is a little better by now.