Search This Blog

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Mt Coot-tha Gardens...

This weekend at the Botanical Gardens at Mt Coot-tha, there is a big tropical plants sale. DH and I headed off there yesterday morning fairly early. When we arrived at the car park, there was already a steady stream of people walking back to their cars with boxes filled with plants. Darn! Would there be any plants left???? But of course there were!

In the part of the auditorium in the photos above, there were lots of cordylines, coleuses, begonias etc but I was more interested in the section outside...masses of bromeliads! 
I walked up and down beside the tables a few times to see what was there. The third time, I was ready to start picking out 'broms' to buy. Dear DH carried the box for me. I did end up buying a few 'more expensive' ones as well as small economical ones. In the last 16 years or so I've grown to love this plant family...before that, I hadn't thought much of them. 
The ones I bought...
I also bought a plant that was new to me...

This plant is on the right of the photos in the previous collage. It has long flower stems that are a mass of tiny pink flowers.
Now the photo below is in one of the collages. It shows DH pretending to be excited by a bromeliad. Lol. But in the background there is a young woman in a blue shirt. Her grandparents, Olive and Len Trevor, started the Olive Branch Bromeliad Nursery here in Brisbane many years ago. This young lady told me that she now runs the Nursery, so it's wonderful that it's staying in the family so to speak. 

It's a shame Olive and Len weren't there yesterday, as I like to catch up with them. I taught their daughter so we have her in common as well as a love of 'broms'! 

5 comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

thanks for popping by my blog and commenting I really do appreciate it. I have not a lot of luck with tropical plants, I over water and then kill them!!

margaret said...

what a great sale to have been too and the plant looks very nice

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Looks like a good day x

Una said...

I love cordylines. We have one that is 12 years old. It has survived being moved from the back garden to the front garden. Then it survived being blown over by a gale. It snapped in half but grew again from the roots. It is now firmly established and Daughter has named it "Albert" after a man who used to live next door!

Cheryl (aka Kayly) said...

So glad I didn't go. By the look of your photos it would have been too tempting! I've been looking at the ones I have and have decided they are in need of a good tidy up.