Search This Blog

Sunday, October 11, 2015

It took a while but finally a finish!

Earlier this year a friend dropped over some bags of yarn and squares that had been donated to a group that she belonged to. But as this group tends to concentrate on sewing quilts etc for those in need, yarn and squares were of little use to the group, so K4BN  got them. 
There were lots and lots of these smallish granny squares and I decided to join them as is, rather than crochet more rounds to make them 25 CM as I normally do. Then I joined them into groups of four...


Then I  joined these blocks into rows.
The project just got worked on intermittently over recent months. But finally, last week, I finished! 
I used a total of 192 of the squares with some 'leftovers'; 11 blocks of 4 squares each, left to start another project sometime in the future. Whew! Lol
I'm pleased with the final result even though there were LOTS of little ends to sew in. 

I think the squares were crocheted over a fair bit of time with the unknown crocheter's technique improving as the time went by. The yarn is wool which makes the blanket a little heavy...but not too much! Because it is wool and in paler colours, it will not go to a homeless person...more likely to a DV women's refuge or somewhere similar. 
I edged the blanket with a simple shell edging, using some soft, cream  coloured wool yarn. I wonder what plans the crocheter had for all their squares???

9 comments:

Aussie Maria said...

It looks wonderful!! Congrats on converting the "bits" to something so useful and pretty

Susan said...

I do love the colours in this...you've done a great job...as always.

Una said...

What an amazing achievement. I'm sure the original crocheter would be delighted to see what the squares turned into.

margaret said...

such a pretty blanket wih is sure to be well loved. Now the worst part you have all the ends to sew in!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Fantastic effort Maria. It looks just lovely xx

Cynthia said...

I love the colors and you have made it beautiful with the pretty edging. Someone will treasure it for sure.

Anonymous said...

Maria the blanket is beautiful. I love those pastel shades. Must have taken you hours but now you have a lovely blanket for a person in need.

doodles n daydreams said...

Aah Maria this is such a lovely blanket. Such delicate shades. It would lovely on a bed...

Diana

susie said...

Maria, this turned out just lovely! A very nice project! I just love the little squares of color.