Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Last Sunday Part 2...

On our visit to the Tramway Museum, my friends and I had the tram rides first, then we headed to the workshops to have a look at the restoration work and some static displays.
So firstly we had a look at some old trams which were being restored as well as the replica of the horse drawn trams that ran in Brisbane in the 1880s...(righthand side of collage)
Someone with a delightful sense of humour had placed a toy horse in front of the replica tram...my friend Alison could see a photo opportunity...
So who can remember trolley buses? Brisbane had just a few routes serviced by these quiet vehicles...they were electric. When the tram network was discontinued so were the trolley buses. Well the Tramway Museum had quite a display featuring these buses...what memories. I can remember my mum and I catching the one that went down Edward St to the Gardens and the one that went from the General Hospital (now Royal Brisbane) to Prospect Terrace Kelvin Grove. Some of these old buses certainly look as though restoration is a very big challenge...


But the volunteers who work on the restoration must be so proud of their efforts...this trolley bus in the photos below, looked pretty good!

After we looked through the sheds we made our way back to the office to have a look at the displays and books etc there. On the way there I took some photos of the 'control box' that had been in Fortitude Valley at the place which was referred to as the Valley Junction (I think) where Brunswick St intersected with Wickham St.



In the office building, the uniform's display was excellent...such a range of uniforms which must have been saved from being thrown out! When DH first started as a tram conductor, he wore the dark blue as did the conductor who assisted Kevin the driver, on our tram rides...


Then the uniforms changed to a green...
I was rather taken with the full length leather coat on the left in this next photo.

 The display included signs...


 Old photos...

 Including lots of photos of the aftermath of the Paddington Depot fire...
So that's it folks...I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to the Tramway Museum and hope to go back again sometime with DH. I bought him one of the publications that were on sale and he's already found some errors, so I said he has to go there and set the record straight! lol
The book I bought for DH...
And my ticket which the conductor punched on every tram ride we did...

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

I've been very interested in your posts about the trams/trolley buses. Yes, I can remember the trolley buses - boy that shows my age doesn't it? Mind you, its just a vague memory :) I also remember the trams in Sydney and how us young ladies had to be very careful not to get our heels stuck in the tracks. I think they were phased out in the late 50s or very early 60s. Actually I hate trams, especially the ones in Melbourne. They're a real traffic hazard and its a nightmare driving - stupid how you have to go to the far left lane to make a right hand turn at some intersections. Add a tram or two to make it s terrible nightmare !!! Does Brisbane still have trams? xox

Cynthia said...

I have enjoyed your posts and photos of the Brisbane trams. I lived in the country but I think the trams were already gone by the time I was growing up. For some reason, I still enjoy seeing and reading about them. Last September I spent a whole day in the transportation museum in London and loved every minute of it!