Search This Blog

Monday, March 30, 2015

Easter secret sewing revealed...

For a little while now, I've been working on a table runner for a swap at Sunday Stitchers. Late last year, I googled Easter Tablerunners and also 'surfed' through Pinterest looking for ideas. Eventually I actually purchased a pattern from the US...not a PDF download...an actual paper pattern. 
Loved the pattern, and even though I knew any fabrics could be used, I loved the fabrics used by the designer; I didn't have any of the fabric in yardage but I had a jelly roll and part of a pack of charm squares in the 'Amelia'. I had planned to use some 'grass patterned' fabric I had bought a few years ago, but it didn't suit this design. The table runner was a bit wide so I decided to reduce the size and to that end, I reduced the appliqué pieces' patterns on the photocopier. I even traced these on to Applifix and ironed the shapes on to fabric. And then...I completely changed direction!!

I bought an Easter themed charm pack and 1/2 metre of Easter fabric on EBay.



 I cut out hexies...lots of them! I stitched away using Judy Newman's method which doesn't use the traditional papers...just running stitch along the seam line...rather quick! 


Whereas before with the lovely SuznQuilts pattern, I had kept procrastinating, now I was 'on a roll'...that 'mojo' was back! 

I showed glimpses on Instagram and on my blog...

And yesterday we handed over the runners that we made for our swap buddies...in a twist, we all discovered that the person for whom we made a runner, was also the person making one for us! So I made this one for Cheryl...

The colours are brighter than in the photos...and I used that 'grass fabric' after all :-)

And Cheryl made this beautiful runner for me...I love it! 

So I now I have a lovely Easter Tablerunner to add to my collection of Easter 'stuff'. :-)

8 comments:

Anthea said...

Wow Maria - I love them both! - great use of the hexy's & I do love what Cheryl made for you... what a fun swap! x

Mizumatte said...

love your hexacon runner and thank you I got some idea what to do with some hexacon I have in the cabinet. take care Jaana ps. the runner you got is lovely too

Una said...

Another gorgeous item. You are so clever!

Jeanette said...

Lovely runners Maria. Hugs,xx

Nanette said...

It's funny when what we plan just won't work, no matter how much we love a pattern. I like your hexie runner and the one you were given is lovely and bright, a great addition to your collection.

Christine M said...

Both Easter projects are lovely, Maria.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Both are so lovely x

Susan said...

So, I am not the only one to start and then change their mind
I think the runner was fabulous - loved the fabrics and the idea behind it - I agree about piecing the hexagons - esp for the larger ones.