Search This Blog

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Some changes to plans...

Unfortunately, while out on his usual daily 75 minute walk on Boxing Day, DH collapsed in a suburban street. Two young women rushed to his aid, and when he admitted to them that he wasn't 'alright', one of the women ran to the nearest house to get help. As luck would have it, a nurse lived in that house! An ambulance was called, and because for once, DH had his mobile phone with him, he called me. He was just a suburb away from our home but the ambulance got there before me! 
DH was taken to emergency, all the time saying that he was just dehydrated...after a while in the treatment room with blood tests and even chest x-rays, he would be admitted to the hospital upstairs for observation The A/Professor who was the doctor on duty in Emergency had said he suspected a heart attack. DH still stuck to his dehydration story...and so did the cardiologist who was called in...at first.  



Blood tests continued and the 8pm test showed that the level of the enzyme troponin, had doubled in the hours since DH arrived in Emergency. Yep! He had suffered a heart attack. The only apparent symptoms that he had, were nausea and fainting. Many years ago a first aid trainer I had, 'harped' on the nausea indicator often being overlooked...especially if there are no chest or arm pains. 

So you can imagine that things are a bit different around here...the children and our friends have been wonderful and while I 'stumble around' feeling quite surreal and dislocated, I've had heaps of support. Even Eduardo the cat senses something isn't quite right and is sticking close to me when I'm home. 
DH himself appears 'chipper' despite being connected to a heart monitor and with his repertoire of jokes finding a new audience with all that staff in the hospital :-).
 I'm typing this at 5 am as I will be going into the hospital early this morning. At 6.30 am, DH will have an Angiogram which will reveal what damage has been done to the heart, blockages will be identified and stents put in if necessary. We may even find out about the Lifestyle changes that now have to occur.  
( Showing how much I love DH, I gave him my iPad so that he can Skype Miss Nikki [so hard for her being so far away] in Canada...but he's Facebooking and having all sorts of fun, as well! lol) 

27 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

OMG...........he is so lucky.........I hope everything goes well today with the angiogram.........

kraftier said...

if he is telling jokes he will be ok the examination will say "just a prank" be strong Maria ..

Nanette said...

Oh Maria, what a dreadful shock, how good that there were people nearby to help. Hope the tests today go well. Look after yourself too, no good you falling in a heap....what would Eduardo do:) Thinking of you both xxx

ozgrkdn said...

maria,,I 'm so sad,,I wish healing..

creations.1 said...

Take care of yourself Maria - your Dh is getting the best of care where he is. Such a shock isn't it - and leaves you in a 'limbo' stage. Eduardo would know something is amiss - after all he needs both his mumma and poppa!

Kaisievic said...

Maria, so sorry to hear about your DH's illness but it sounds like he is in good hands and in good spirits. I hope that all goes well with his tests and please look after yourself.
hugs, Kaye

Noela said...

Definitely a lucky call that he was seen by the young women so quickly. Hope all goes well today. Will be thinking of you. Hugs......

Yvonne W said...

Hopefully I am not doubling up with my comment--as I did leave 1 via my phone but it seems to have disappeared-- so I thought I will try again via the computer.
I am sorry to hear about your DHs ill health, but he is now in the right place receiving treatment. It is hard for you to sit back and not have control of the situation. Wishing him a speedy recovery. Take care.

Dorothy said...

Oh Maria, what a dreadful thing to have happened. I hope your DH will be ok and that they can sort the problem out so he can enjoy himself again. Good that he can skype and facebook. Don't forget to take care of yourself too. xox

Denice Barker said...

Wow! What a scare for you all! I send all positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Michelle Ridgway said...

How frightening for your poor hubby not to mention you. Sending healing hugs Maria. I hope he is feeling much better soon and on a good program xx

Tracy said...

How frightening for all concerned. I hope all goes well. Take care.

Jazbriz said...

Wishing your DH all the best.

Susan said...

So scary for you, but it seems he has had a relatively lucky escape/warning.
ALl the best to him & you.
He is in good hands

margaret said...

DH is in my prayers and you too at this time, he will now have had the tests and hopefully they have found the cause and able to treat it .Wishing him a speedy recovery and back to good health, take care of yourself too.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

very scary....take care he all goes well xx

Maria said...

OMG how lucky was your DH that two lovely ladies were able to help him right away.
you would have got a real fright.
Do hope he is now recovering.
HUGE hug for you Maria...

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Dear Maria ~ I hope your DH has a wonderful recovery. I liked reading that he is using his sense of humor, that always helps if you ask me.

Take care of yourself so you can take care of him.

Love, hugs & prayers ~ FlowerLady

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear this Maria. A very worrying time for you. Let us hope that he makes a good recovery - and very soon.
Best wishes from Jean

angela said...

So very very lucky those girls were there. So glad he is ok now. You need to take care of you too so make sure you rest. Hugs sent you way xxx

Becky said...

OH BOY! What a way to end 2014. Scott and I are changing our eating habits too. I'm thinking it's time we admitted we are in our 50's and get full physical exams ASAP. Take care you two!

Unknown said...

Sending loads of positive and loving thoughts - hoping for the very best for you both oxo

Cynthia said...

So sorry to hear about your husband and glad he was where he was and so quickly helped. What a shock for you. I am a little late reading this and hope by now things are better. Best wishes to you and your family for the New Year.

Vireya said...

I am so sorry to hear this, Maria. How frightening for you, too! I'm glad to hear you have friends and family supporting you, and hope that the tests have reveal minimal damage.

Long distance hugs to you!

Janice said...

So glad to have been able to keep up to date with what has been happening through face book Maria. You have been brilliant at keeping all your friends and family informed...having heard that the tests showed no blockages, I am hoping that by now you have both settled a little, and are planning for 2015 with a big smile on your faces...that you have been lucky...great support from the people who found him, and what sounds like a good medical team....lots of love and positive thoughts to you both Jx

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

I am so sorry to hear this!! Very lucky for him that the ladies found him and also the nurse. I wish him a very speedy recovery. Take care of yourself too. I am sure Eduardo will be happy to provide the kitty comfort that you need.

-Soma

Sue (this n that) said...

Hello Maria, just now read your update on your DH and so backtracked to see what happened.

What a shock for you both and just out of the blue like that. How fortunate for the nurse to be so near and for the lady to have found him.

I'd been away and hadn't done my usual catch-up with everyone so was very sorry to have missed this very vital post of yours xx