Search This Blog

Monday, December 2, 2013

Advent...

Yep it's that busy and exciting time; the run up to Christmas. Of course when I was working it wasn't just a busy time, it was frenetic (report writing, tidying classrooms, end of year concerts/plays etc etc)! Nowadays it's a more gentle pace and I enjoy it more. 
The tree went up on Saturday but does not have all the baubles etc on it yet...


On Saturday, DH and I went along to our parish Christmas Markets. I bought a few items including a lovely deep red/maroon geranium and DH bought some raffle tickets and won first prize! We collected the prize yesterday at the 7.30 service. 
It was a basket of goodies...I thought I had taken a photo of the basket before we took the cellophane off it and had a look at all the goodies...but I hadn't taken the photo! So this is just a few items. It was actually a very nice prize, including a $50 gift card, 2 bottles of wine, 2 lots of chocolates, tin of biscuits, a knitted santa and some lovely body lotion, bath gel etc. 

Also while at the service, I took a few photos showing the change of colours for Advent...purple...and also the ring of candles that are gradually lit during the weeks of Advent. 

Also on Sunday I had a group of friends around for our annual Christmas lunch...
Everyone contributes a dish to the meal...the buffet table is starting to fill up as friends arrive...

We also have a Secret Santa gift exchange and as everyone arrived they put their parcel in the big tub...

 Time to load up plates with the delicious food...
 Sitting around enjoying our lunch...

 Then 5 of my dear friends started on the tidy up before we had Secret Santa and desserts. By the time i got my camera, there were only 3 left in my tiny kitchen but you can just imagine how crowded it was when the 5 of them were together :-)

Ahem...some of the empties
Then today I drove little Mitzi Micra for the first time in 6 weeks! I went to the Scarborough Knit and Natter...we meet in a private home and Ron and Claire have been busy decorating for Christmas...
The first photo is an upside down reindeer who spins around and kicks his legs when the button is pushed...you can't help but laugh when you see him in action!
 A lovely knitted Nativity...

Another animated reindeer who sings and waves his foot around...

And sweet knitted Santa and Mrs Claus...

I love all those Christmas figures and animated decorations...I have 3 such decorations that sing Christmas songs...

My modest collection of singing Christmas decorations
How are your Christmas preparations going? I have a few more boxes of decorations to be brought down by DH from the very high cupboards...sounds like I'll be busy!

4 comments:

Maria said...

I enjoyed visiting with you to see your decorations and lunching with your friends..
I must get the tree up tomorrow.

Lin said...

Love your Christmassy header Maria! Advent is lovely. Having made the Advent wreath for our Church I completely forgot to take any photos!! Yours really does look quite splendid. Lunch looked like great fun.

angela said...

Yes you have been busy but it sounds lovely.i only have two more things to buy and as I know what they are I've been procrastinating. And then I'm done. As we buy a real tree we get one closer to Christmas so it smells nice and looks its best on the day. Your new header looks great!

Susan said...

Love your header and all your Christmas bits!
you must be happy to be driving again...