Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Springtime in the garden...

In my last post I wrote about my 'battles' with the bush turkey...but all is not lost, gardenwise...

The daylilies are flowering, despite being neglected...

This plant is flowering for the first time since I got it as a Christmas present...


The year before last, I got a cutting of this cactus from a friend. Last year it had one bud. This year there were lots of these buds, but this year these buds opened up before they fell off.
So, buds...
 Turned into these flowers...


A few months ago, I bought a galliardia plant. My mum had these flowers in her garden...I loved the colours. This one is a bit different to mum's...a bit frilly. But it's been flowering really well this month...



Most of my hippeastrums are in pots. Despite having twigs and even a piece of ceiling insulation from the building site next door on top of the potting mix, these hardy plants had buds developing...

 Nearly opened here...I dug up the bulbs of these red ones from the garden of the house where I lived with my first husband, and brought them with me :-)

 Here are some of the pots of hippeastrums gathered together in one spot...



I was given this one as a housewarming gift when I moved to a little rental house in 2000

I potted up this petunia seedlings in early September and most of them are flowering now; here is my favourite one...purple!

And lastly, some of my tomato crop...

The first photo is a bag of the larger tomatoes that we gave to Tim, along with a bottle of red, as a thank you for Faux Turkey...

And this is a bowl of cherry tomatoes including some yellow ones...all self sown.

I decided to not take photos of the prolific weeds that are also in my garden lol! I weed a little bit each day but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

8 comments:

Lin said...

Lovely photographs Maria - thank you for showing us. I love the flowers on the cactus and the frilly gallardia.We still have some colour in the garden - the Michelmas are really good this year and of course we are just starting to get the autumn colours.

Lin said...

Lovely photographs Maria - thank you for showing us. I love the flowers on the cactus and the frilly gallardia.We still have some colour in the garden - the Michelmas are really good this year and of course we are just starting to get the autumn colours.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty flowers Maria.
We have lots of self seeded cherry tomatoes over at Beelarong. Some folk can't be bothered to pick them but I love to forage for free food.
Yum.

Sue Niven said...

Your garden is wonderful, thanks for sharing!

Tatkis said...

Beautiful garden and flowers!

Hugs,
Tatyana

Paul Forster said...

I love the flowers and especially the galliardia plant. Wonderful photos!

Vireya said...

Your hippeastrums put my efforts to shame! I had a few in pots that came from a garage sale, and only ever managed to get one to flower. I passed them on to someone else eventually, who planted them in the garden, and I think there they were destroyed by snails.

Noela said...

You have some beautiful flowers growing in your garden Maria. Thanks for the pictures, they brighten a rainy day (although I'm happy about the rain, we need it)Hugs.....