Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

A short visit...

Last week was the first week of the mid semester school holiday's break and DsD1 and her partner Dan, drove down to Brisbane for a few days.

Here they are at the family wedding last May

This time they stayed with us which was lovely as we don't see much of them normally.

So the disaster zone of crafting resources which is bedroom #2 went from this...
I had been sorting yarns into colour groups and not only the floor was littered but also the bed was covered with bags of yarns and fabric purchases...

So our guests had somewhere to sleep, I had to do quite a tidy up...
I amazed myself actually; floor and bed cleared and the bed made up with clean linen :-)
That's DH's spare set of golf clubs on the right...so it's not all my craft 'stuff' :-)
Those cubes are hiding a lot of yarn you know and I've actually labelled two of them! 


 DsD1 spent the time catching up with her mum and sisters and  her best friend, getting her car serviced (which took a day and a half!) and on the Thursday night she had planned to go to see a performance of 'Grease' with one of her friends. I 'tortured' Dan with the smell of a beef casserole in the slow cooker for most of the day and he was looking forward to having some for dinner that night while DsD1 went to the theatre. But both of them ended up not doing what they had expected to be doing.

They got a phonecall from home saying that a fire was raging on the property next to Dan's parents' place. The RFS volunteers had managed to save the neighbour's house. The young couple decided to immediately return home...a 6 hour drive. The next morning DsD1 rang me to say that they had got home safely about 1am. They then went out to help with fighting the fire until 4am. She told me that the neighbour had had hundreds of hectares burnt out and had suffered cattle losses.  Dan had gone out again after a short break.
By Monday DsD let me know that the fire was 'safe and controlled' but would smoulder in trees and logs for a few weeks to come.
Unfortunately I guess the fire scenario will replay many times over the coming summer here in Australia. 

9 comments:

Maria said...

Sew nice to have your DD and partner visit. Sorry they had to rush home for the fire but pleased no one was hurt and no houses lost.

Paul Forster said...

What a shame that your friends' visit was cut short. Thankfully there was a happy ending! Look forward to being a more regular follower!

Sue Niven said...

I am so glad that no one was hurt, a short but sweet visit, I hope you get to see them again soon.

Anonymous said...

oh my not the sort of thing you want to hear while having a few days of R&R,nice to have your family down Maria.xx

Becky said...

I'm sorry Dan didn't get to eat that wonderful dinner and I'm sure they were both missing it badly after fire fighting for hours. A good meal probably would have been a wonderful feast after all that hard hot work. Glad that got home safe and the fire is under control.

Naturally Carol said...

I'm glad everybody is safe and the fire was out eventually. I like your header photos, the rugs are gorgeous.

Noela said...

You did such a great job of cleaning up. I usually do that and then can't find anything. Glad all is well with the fire. Yes I think we can expect more fires to come. It is just so dry out our way. Hugs......

Lin said...

What a shame their visit was cut short. It must be awful knowing that fire could break out at any time. Fortunately we do not have a problem here but when we visited friends last autumn in the south and travelled over the border into Spain for the day we drove miles through a huge area that had been burnt. It was the first time that I had seen something like that and I will never forget it.

Chookyblue...... said...

you did well to get all that sorted.......

shame about the fire.....it's not a good start to he season........