Search This Blog

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Coffee time...

Occasionally DH and I treat ourselves to a coffee in a coffee shop. Today I'm going to post some photos that I took at 2 local 'haunts'.
One day recently, we went to a small shop in the neighbouring suburb of Mitchelton, in particular in Blackwood St. It has the rather interesting name of Geronimo Jerky and it is right next door to where DH and I worked last year on the state election. I didn't take a photo of this cafe though...I took photos of the examples of 'yarn-bombing' in the street.

I noticed this one first...

Then looked down the footpath towards the railway crossing and saw this one...

Close up of the 'nurse'...

This one was outside the building where DH and I had worked... when we worked there, the building had been put up for sale and Ben, the chemist from across the road had said he'd love to buy it as his shop was so cramped...

Ta dah!!

The pharmacy has moved to the old bank building :-)
The week before last we tried out a fairly new cafe that had opened at nearby Gaythorne. 
I'd read a review of this cafe in the Sunday Mail which had been rather flattering.
We chose a table on the footpath...the cafe is on a small service road just off busy Samford Rd...
This new eatery is owned by someone with the surname, Hansell.


Looking towards Samford Rd...
Our coffees came in quaint 70s mugs...

The cafe wasn't far from the railway bridge just after/before Gaythorne Station...I had my phone ready to take a photo when the next train came through...



We parked our car at the back of the block of shops. On the strip of railway land beside the shops, there were lots of morning glory vines in flower...


The next time we visit Hansell and Gretel we might try one of the breakfast dishes...they sure looked good!

4 comments:

Becky said...

Love the shop names. Our local coffee shop is called Cafe Strudel and t he food is divine there. Thanks for sharing your outing with us!

Michelle Ridgway said...

It is so nice to treat yourself to a lovely coffee out. Love the yarn bombing and the name of the shop and the 70's mugs....showing my age.

Justjen said...

I must have seen the same write up as you Maria, we've been meaning to visit the same café for Sunday breakfast. I've heard a lot about the creative Blackwood Rd yarnbombers.

Fiona said...

the yarn bombing is so fun.... I do admit I like a nice coffee out as a treat too....
Hugz