Search This Blog

Friday, May 17, 2013

Dirt, soil, clay, pebbles, rocks etc in large quantities...

Thank you for all the messages of support regarding the building site next door...
Well it was me who spoke to the builder next door, even though we had planned that DH would do that. I just happened to walk outside yesterday morning just before 8am to have a look and who should catch my eye, than Brad the builder. But I had had the night to cool down a bit...mind you I was still in my pjs with the cat cartoons all over ...plus the words 'naughty cat' printed between the cats :-) But I was wrapped in a big shawl as it was quite cool...but then again I had on the purple 'crocs' as the ground was still wet! lol

Anyway I told him the issues I had with items like my compost bin being fenced off and the destruction of the frangipani...he promised to retrieve the bin contents, move the bin to the other side of the fence and replace the contents. No offer to replace the plant yet. Looks like because DH had given verbal permission for the temporary fence to be on our property, that it stays. But if you could see the 'drop' from our fence line  I'm sure happy to have that fence where it is...it would be at least a 6 feet drop. 

The view from my sewing room yesterday morning...


The view from the little bedroom that we now use an an office...

Still looking out the office window...

This photo shows how close to the temporary fencing the excavation is.  This bit was later filled in  when the builder discovered that too much earth had been taken away...


 The plans that have been approved by the local authority (who outsource all permit giving) means that the developer and his builders are  building a retaining wall right on the boundary and a building will be 20cm (8 inches) from that wall. Remember when the council would knock back applications for carports and sheds because they were too close to the boundary? So what is 'too close' these days???


The pile of dirt soon grows high...



But a number of trucks come on the site to take it away...

The plant operator waves goodbye the truck driver...notice the white hair this is no youthful lad...


Now being me, later in the day I struck up a conversation with this guy just as he was cleaning up the dirt dropped during the day, by the trucks carting off the soil. It seems while he is doing a job like this, he doesn't go home, but instead sleeps in his truck. I didn't ask him where home is but assumed it's a distance away. 

So any way, with the house gone from next door, we have the most wonderful views of the ranges in the distance...
I will not have this view for long but while it lasts I'll enjoy it every day!


I took these photos yesterday morning. By the afternoon it was like looking at an archeological dig ...you could see distinct layers in the areas cut back...very interesting! 

In the last day or two I've been sewing donated squares into a blanket. I'd hoped to get 2 blankets made before tomorrow's Knit and Natter, but have only managed one. You see on May 28 we have the Homeless Connect Day here in Brisbane  and K4BN will be there handing out warm items to those who need them. While we were in NZ I had a complete break from charity knitting and stitching so now I'm focussed on getting as much sewing up done as I can. I have been given several hundred squares and rectangles, so that translates to quite a few blankets when they are sewn together. 


These are largish rectangles so 30 sewn together make a good-sized  blanket. Because the sides were quite stretchy, I crocheted around each one to make them more stable to sew up. So one (blanket) down and several more to go! lol

5 comments:

Susan said...

OMGosh - at least you can see one positive - the temporary view!
how close is too close - 7 inches maybe?? - that really is too close isn't it - I hope there aren't too many windows on that side of the building.
Had to chuckle at the thought of you in your cat PJs and purple crocs!!

Dorothy said...

I do hope you don't end up being 'built-in'. My friend's next door neighbour built another storey on their house and my friend was so upset as it blocked off the sun (and indeed light) that came through her kitchen window. She now has a lovely view of a brick wall.

Anonymous said...

Hard to understand how the council could ok a building so close. Crazy.
Pleased to hear that you are able to channel your thoughts to your knitting and keep your fingers busy Maria.

Bev C said...

Hello Maria,

Good luck with your knitting. The Frangipani should survive, even if you take cuttings they always strike, this way you can have lots of them instead of one. Enjoy your weekend.

Happy days.
Bev.

Marilyn said...

That excavation works looks so close to your windows. Hope it is a pleasing design of building that will be built there. It is good that your things will be moved to your side of that fence, but what a shame about the frangipani.