Search This Blog

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Make-grow-thrift...

I've just checked over at Jodie's blog to see whether she has already published a post for her Make-Grow-Thrift feature and she has! This week Jodie has written about an apple pie she made for the family. Her oven is out of action and not to be deterred, Jodie cooked the pie in her pizza maker.

Last week I needed to provide a plate of food to share at a craft group I attend twice a month. I was running a bit short of time but remembered 'an old standby' recipe that I used when my girls were little. It was a very popular recipe at that time (mid 80s) and was called 'Five Cup Cake' or, in my case ' Four and a half Cup Cake. It was my contribution to many Playgroup sessions.




The ingredients were:-
1 cup of wholemeal  self raising flour
1 cup of shredded coconut
1/2 cup fruit medley(in the dried fruit section)  and 1/2 cup sultanas
1 cup of milk (soy/almond/rice milks if preferred)
1 cup of raw sugar (I use just under 1/2 cup)
Mix all the ingredients together and pour into a loaf tin.
Bake in a moderate oven for 40-50minutes. (check after 35mins as all ovens cook differently)



Because I'm avoiding sugar, I was very 'good' and didn't eat anything from the spread where I took this cake. The leftover cake went in the freezer and DH and I had 1 slice last night each last night as my weekly treat, instead of it being scoffed in daily treats like the bad habits I/we  had got into.

It is however a nice easy recipe and useful if something home-baked is needed .

No fancy carrier here...the cake and tin tied up in a tea towel, the old-fashioned way !

1 comment:

Jodie @ The Haby Goddess said...

Thank you for sharing as you do every week Maria xx
Your cake looks divine. What? There were leftovers to bring home? I'm very surprised.