Search This Blog

Monday, January 23, 2012

Make- Grow- Thrift

Today I am joining in with Jodie The Haberdashery Goddess's blog, for her Monday feature 'Make-Grow-Thrift. This is how Jodie describes it...

'Each Monday you can link to a post on your blog sharing with us something that is handmade, homegrown, homemade (such as a recipe) or recycled/thrifted.
This does not need to be craft or sewing based. This is all about making our lives a little greener week by week.'
Well my contribution this week concerns 'grow'. We've had some very hot days here in Brisbane in the last month which have not been good for the garden, especially the veggie patch. But we have been lucky enough in the last week to get a few showers and even a tropical downpour or two!



The grasshoppers have been busy and many of my vegetables have very 'holey' leaves but that's no real drama. With the rain, my eggplant bush has suddenly started producing fruit again; I have 2 lovely, purple baby eggplants and one flower on one bush and another bush is covered with flowers. The silverbeet have a new lease of life and there are rocket seedlings just about everywhere in the veggie patch. The sweet potato vines are starting to create their own jungle as they spread through the almost empty veggie garden #1.




In one of the big tubs that I grew potatoes in last spring and early summer, there are green shoots on what must have been an unharvested potato...what a lovely surprise!

4 comments:

Jodie @ The Haby Goddess said...

Thank you for playing along Maria. I visited my parents in Brisbane over the weekend and their veggie garden looks as lush as yours. Mine however is a different story - putting it down to the Melbourne weather and not my lack of green thumb!

Kelly @ Polkadot Lane said...

How wonderful that you have eggplants! I would love to grow them - will have to pop them onto our list for when we start our vegie garden, which hopefully isn't too far off.

Lea White said...

Lovely to see your gardening efforts. Sadly my gardening didn't take off as well as I had hoped because I kept myself too busy with other things. Next time round...

Tiff said...

We came back from holidays to find our eggplants looking almost as good as yours! We had some for dinner tonight too! Those grasshoppers can be a pest, they have been eating my roses so I am very unhappy with them at the moment! Great to meet you, catch you soon! X