Search This Blog

Thursday, October 27, 2011

On my mind...the November Challenge

Being Friday, I'm again joining in Rhonda's   Down to Earth blog feature, On my mind...
During this last week the ladies who organise the monthly challenges for Knitting for Brisbane's Needy, announced that for the November one, the challenge would be 'head ,feet and hand warmers'. Included are beanies, gloves, fingerless gloves, mittens and  bed socks to help build up the stocks of those items. On the group's forum page, one of the organisers put the pattern for 'Banana bedsocks' which apparently are very popular. So I've put my name down for the challenge which will be the first weekend in November and I've decided to have a go at making some banana bedsocks :-).



BANANA BEDSOX

Double thickness of 8ply wool

No 4 or 6mm needles

Cast on 30 stitches.

K1 P1 for 6 rows or 4 rows

Next row increase in every stitch (60) sts

Knit 38 or 40 rows

Next row k2tog all along row (30) sts

K1 P1 for 4 or 6 rows

Cast off

SEW CAST ON AND CAST OFF EDGES TOGETHER AND GO

AROUND THE CORNER

MAKE A SECOND BEDSOX

AT BEGINNING AND END OF THE BEDSOX LEAVE A LENGTH OF WOOL ABOUT12/15 INCHES TO SEW THE BEDSOX UP


I wondered what these bedsocks would look like as my brain likes to know what the finished item will look like. I found 2 photos on the internet but only one would copy. I don't know if it helps or not. I've got out some balls of 8 ply from my stash and may have a little practice before next Friday night. A bit of judicious 'cheating' is allowed in that people often 'practise' knitting the items before the challenge actually begins. A blind eye is turned from this practice of practising because if more items can be knitted in the challenge the more needy people can be helped.


A photo of banana bedsocks I found on the internet

Random 8ply in my stash

I'm pretty sure that I will finish the throw of 40 colours this weekend. I have named this throw/creation, 'Touching Rainbows'. It obviously has rainbow-like colourwash throughout the length but I find mohair a very 'tactile' yarn...I love to stroke the surface and other people often come up and stroke it as well. As well as the R.O.Y.G.B.I.V. colours to represent the good times, there are a few rows of shades of grey as well as black on the ends...these represent the 'hard and or difficult or sad times' in the 40 years. I worked on this throw at the last 'Sisters of Stitch' gathering and the other ladies said to make sure they saw it before I gave it away. That is next Wednesday and after that sometime I'll arrange to meet my friend and hand over her belated gift.

3 comments:

Naturally Carol said...

All the best with your banana bedsocks, they're a first for me too! I am not going to make any though at this stage. I am sure you'll have fun visiting the fabric shops online this weekend too.

Becky said...

I am hoping you will post a picture of your Banana Socks when you get them finished; they look and sound quite interesting.

Smartarts said...

I called these socks Russian bedsocks as they look like Cossack boots when they are on. I have had mine for over 15 tears and they are stiil as warm as toast and in excellent condition. Good luck with your knitting.